|AP Flour||300 grams (2 ½ cups)|
|Cinnamon, ground||1 gram (1/2 teaspoon)|
|Baking Soda||1 gram (¼ teaspoon)|
|Baking Powder||12 grams (1 tablespoon)|
|Pecans, toasted and finely ground||100 grams (1 cup)|
|Bananas, very ripe/spotty||300 grams (about 3 large bananas)|
|Granulated Sugar||350 grams (1 ¾ cups)|
|Crushed Pineapple||1 - 225 gram can, with syrup|
|Vanilla Extract||1 teaspoon|
|Eggs||150 grams (3 eggs)|
|Canola Oil||150 grams (¾ cups)|
- Preheat your oven to 350° F.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift together the flour, cinnamon baking soda, and baking powder, then set aside.
- In a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix the bananas and sugar and liquid, then add the pineapple and vanilla.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, into the mixer, followed by the oil. Mix until fully emulsified.
- In thirds, add the flour-pecan mixture.
- Mix until just coming together. Don’t overmix!
- Pour into your cupcake pan fitted with molds.
- Bake for ~15 minutes, or until a toothpick/cake tester comes out clean.
- Cool down and prepare the frosting.
Cream Cheese Frosting
|Butter, softened||55 grams (4 tablespoons)|
|Cream cheese, full-fat||225 grams (1 package)|
|Confectioner’s Sugar, sifted||120 grams (1 cup)|
|Liqueur (I like dark rum for this recipe)||1 tablespoon|
|Pecans, chopped and toasted||½ cup|
|Coconut, shredded and toasted||½ cup|
- Beat the butter in a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment until soft, then mix in the cream cheese, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Add the confectioners sugar and thoroughly mix.
- Add the vanilla and rum.
- When the cupcakes are cooled, top with the frosting, followed by the toasted coconut and pecans.
PRE 2016 Hummingbird Cake
Set out eggs, butter, and cream cheese the night before!
Ingredients: 3 cups all-purpose flour 2 cups white sugar 1 teaspoon baking soda 1/2 teaspoon salt* 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon 3/4 cup vegetable oil* 3 eggs 1 (8 oz.) can crushed pineapple with juice 2 cups diced bananas 1 cup chopped pecans (plus extra for sprinkling on top of the icing) 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 12 cup Bundt pan+.
Measure flour, sugar, soda, salt, and cinnamon and stir to mix. Add oil, eggs, and vanilla, and stir well, until dry ingredients are moistened. Stir in pineapple with juice, bananas, and pecans. Pour into prepared pan.
Bake in oven for about 70 minutes. (I checked it after 60 minutes) Turn cake out onto rack or plate after cooling for 20 minutes. Cool, and ice with cream cheese icing.
Cream Cheese Icing: 8 oz. cream cheese, softened 1/4 cup butter, softened 2 tsp vanilla 16 oz powdered sugar Beat cheese and butter until smooth. Blend in vanilla. Gradually beat in sugar.
- Or use three 9-inch round cake pans and bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Recipe copied from a blog- Southern Living cookbook has same recipe but with a full tsp of salt, a full cup of oil, and uses round cake pans. Southern Living also uses only 1 tsp of vanilla in the icing.