Passion Fruit Ice Cream
|200 g||passion fruit purée|
- 2016-06-06: Made as indicated
- I did a split of passion fruit and guava: 100g of each.
- I substituted 1 cup of regular coconut milk (TJs, 11g sat fat per 65 mL serving) for one cup of the dairy, but I’m not sure whether it was the milk or the cream!
- Passionfruit guava split (100g each)
- 1 cup (225g) coconut milk in place of 1 cup of milk. (shaken; regular TJs)
Pistachio-Caramel Ice Cream with Sea salt (and chocolate chips)
|1/4 cup||sugar (I used raw sugar)|
|1/4 - 1/3 cup||crushed pistachios|
|3 TBSP||sugar (approximate)|
|1 cup||half and half (approximate)|
|1/4 tsp||almond extract (maybe less)|
|1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract||(I used vanilla crystals)|
|1/4 cup||chocolate chips (optional, finely chopped chocolate maybe preferable)|
|scant pinch||coarse sea salt|
- Melt the butter and sugar over low heat on the stove, whisking until it is golden brown. Remove from heat and add pistachios. Pour into a bowl and throw in freezer to cool.
- Whisk egg until thickened slightly. Whisk in sugar and extracts, then half and half.
- Pour egg/half and half mixture into ice cream maker and churn until thickened (15-25 min). add pistachio-caramel, sea salt, and chocolate (if using) once mixture is thickened.
2013-05-21: I completely winged this recipe, inspired only by my experience making the same basic ice cream base found in the Ben and Jerry’s cookbook. My ignorance of food science was immediately showcased, as the caramel didn’t come out as I intended, but I got lucky this time- the finished product was far better than my original expectations! I was thinking I’d go for a smooth, creamy caramel, but as I cooked the butter and sugar, it alternated between stages of pue liquid to wet sand. I decided to go with it when it seemed to be about the right color (but sandy texture), tossed in the pistachios, and away I went. The scant amounts of vanilla and almond make for a delicate base, the caramel almost has a homemade waffle cone flavor to it, and the texture of the unevenly hand-ground pistachios alongside the caramel crunch holds everything together. It is easily my favorite homemade ice cream recipe so far.
2013-05-23: WTF? I suck! Shell pistachios. One cup of shelled pistachios requires about two cups of unshelled nuts.
2013-06-16: Redemption! With the naturalizing gang.
- Base: 1 egg, 1/2 cup sugar (heaping), 1 cup cream, 1 cup milk, vanilla and almond extract to taste (used a vanilla bean).
- Fixings: ~1/2 cup pistachios, crushed, 1/2 stick butter (4 tbsp), 1/4 cup sugar
- Cook butter and sugar until turns a golden brown, it will have a weird wet sand texture. Toss in pistachios and continue stirring. Refrigerate until added to the ice cream.
Plum Ice Cream
|8-10 fl oz||plum sorbet base|
|to taste||freshly grated nutmeg|
|0.5 cup||plums, chopped and frozen|
- whisk 2 eggs until they thicken slightly and are a pale yellow.
- Add .5 cup sugar, whisk until dissolved.
- Add 2 cups cream, whisk again.
- Stir in a generous cup of the plum puree used for sorbet, and grate in maybe a teaspoon of nutmeg.
- Freeze in ice cream machine, and add a half cup of chopped ripe plums at the very end.